Installing PlexConnect on Linux (Ubuntu 13.04)

Quite easy although still working out the kinks.

PlexConnect is a bit of magic python code that allows you to access your Plex Library on an stock Apple TV 3.  For somebody who had an Apple TV 3 unplugged and packed away, this has made the device useful again.

I have read back through my command line history and found all the commands I typed in sequentially to get it running.   

Optional
If you don't have git or nano installed : sudo apt-get install git-core nano
I'm pretty sure most Ubuntu boxes have python pre-installed.

git clone https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect.git
cd PlexConnect/
nano Settings.py
sudo ./PlexConnect.py

LINUX SIDE DONE!

What could go wrong??
1) I got an error that port 53 was in use trying to activate the DNSServer.

Fix:
In my case, I had started dnsmasq in a previous experiment, so I KILLED it quickly.
sudo killall dnsmasq
( I will disable the dnsmasq service later )

2) Next I got a message that port 80 was in use.

Fix:
cd /etc/apache2
cd sites-available/
I had a few sites running which are configured here.  I edited each file to move them off port 80.

cd ..
sudo nano ports.conf
Replaced port 80 with another (8085) in my case.

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

cd
cd PlexConnect/
sudo ./PlexConnect.py

Boom!  It was working, waiting for commands.

On the AppleTV, all you do is modify the Network settings and change DNS to manual,  use the IP address of your Linux box and then goto the Apple Trailers site.  It should show your Plex Libraries now, instead.

Works like a charm.

Kudo's to all the original developers and the community springing up around it.  I'm willing to bet that more Apple TV3's get sold now that Plex is usable on it WITHOUT jailbreaking.

SHAME ON YOU APPLE.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlocking Hera Tani

So, in the spirit of Elite Stories, thought I'd share my perspective of last night.